How To: Change Battery In Kia Key Fob
Have you noticed that your Kia key fob has been slower to respond than normal? Or maybe the battery has died out completely? We have good news: the process of learning how to replace a key fob battery is an easy way to regain all of the handy functions that make Kia ownership so special. Check out our guide about how to change battery in Kia key fob below. Or visit Raymond Kia for more assistance with your Kia key fob battery replacement today!
Which Key Fob Do You Have?
There are two different Kia key fobs. If you’re not sure what type of key fob you have, a quick visual inspection should tell you. The standard Kia key fob has a small, circular silver button in the upper left corner to release the mechanical key blade from the side of the fob.
On the other hand, the Kia Smart Key houses the mechanical key inside the fob, rather than on the side. For this model, you’ll find a small rectangular release button on the lower backside of the Kia Smart Key fob instead of a button in the upper left corner. The Smart Key is reserved for Kia vehicles that have keyless entry and keyless start functions, so if you have that type of vehicle, you probably have the Smart Key.
Standard Kia Key Fob: How To Open A Kia Key Fob
- First turn the key fob so the front side is facing down
- Wedge the tip of a small flathead screwdriver into the slot on the side of the fob (opposite the side that houses the mechanical key)
- Gently pry the casing off of the key fob
- Remove the old battery
- Set the new battery in place
- Replace the casing on the key fob, squeezing it shut
Kia Smart Key Fob: How To Open Kia Key Fob
- Begin by pressing the small silver button at the bottom of the fob to release the emergency mechanical key
- With the emergency key now out, you can use it to open the key fob
- You’ll see a slot at the bottom of the key fob that matches the size of the mechanical key
- Insert the key into the slot, then gently twist it in either direction. This will pry open the key fob casing
- Carefully finish pulling the fob fully apart
- Remove the old battery
- Set the new battery in place, with the writing on the battery facing down
- Gently snap the key fob back together, being careful not to damage any internal Smart Key components in the process
Visit Raymond Kia!
At Raymond Kia, we’re your destination for a great selection of new 2023 Kias and used Kias, as well Kia service. We treat our customers like family. We here at Raymond Kia treat our customers like family. Knowing how we can make your Kia dealership experience with us even better than ever is at the heart of our business. As car owners, we know the kind of service that we expect. Whether it is buying the all-new EV6 or taking your car in for routine maintenance or repair, we are a Kia dealer that you can trust. Visit us to learn more about replacing your Kia key fob battery now!